Prof. Dr. Maria Dolores Alvarez
(212) 359 69 87
- PhD : Boğaziçi University, İstanbul, Turkey, Marketing, 2003.
- Master : Cornell University, New York, USA, MBA, 1993.
- Master : Université Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgium, European Law, 1990.
- Undergraduate : Deusto University, Bilbao, Spain, Law and Business Administration, 1989.
- Destination marketing, destination development, tourist behavior.
- Research Project Turkish Tourists’ Attitudes Toward Sustainability Attributes in Tourism Destinations (Boğaziçi University Research Fund – BAP Project 15N01D1), 2015 - 2016, project coordinator.
- Research project A Comprehensive View of Istanbul Hotels, supported by BAP (Boğaziçi University Research Fund –BAP Project 6510) and TÜROB (Turkish Investors and Hotels Association), 2012-2014, member of the team.
- Tourism Master Plan for the Thrace Region in Turkey (financed by the Thrace Development Agency), 2011-2012, project coordinator and member of the team.
- Tourism training needs assessment for Kars – project carried out for the World Tourism Organization (part of the MDG-F Joint Programme: MDGF-1792, Alliances for Culture Tourism in Eastern Anatolia), 2010, project coordinator and member of the team.
- Project for the development of the Action Plan for the Development of the Sarıyer Region (Sarıyer Kalkınma Eylem Planı), Sarıyer Municipality, 2010, member of the team.
- Joint project (World Tourism Organization –George Washington University – Boğaziçi University) Sustainable tourism strategy to position Istanbul’s historical peninsula as a World class tourism destination, 2007, project coordinator.
- Alvarez, M.D.Go, F and Yüksel, A (Editors) (forthcoming June 2016) Heritage Tourism Destinations: Preservation, Communication and Development, CABI, ISBN:9781780646770.
- Hatipoglu, B., Alvarez, M.D. and Ertuna, B. (2016). “Barriers to stakeholder involvement in the planning of sustainable tourism: the case of the Thrace region in Turkey”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 111, 306-317.
- Fayos-Solá, E., Alvarez, M.D. and Cooper, C. (Editors) (2014). Tourism as an Instrument for Development, Bridging Tourism Theory and Practice Series. Emerald. ISBN: 9780857246790
- Alvarez, M.D. and Sara Campo (2014). “The Influence of Political Conflicts on Country Image and Intention to Visit: A Study of Israel’s Image”, Tourism Management, 40: 70-78.
- Campo, S. and Alvarez, M.D. (2014). "Can Tourism Promotions Influence a Country's Negative Image? An Experimental Study on Israel's Image", Current Issues in Tourism, 17 (3), 2014-219
- Alvarez, M. D. and Campo, S. (2011). “Controllable versus Uncontrollable Information Sources: Effects on the image of Turkey”, International Journal of Tourism Research, 13: 310-323.
- Campo Martínez, S. and M. D. Alvarez (2010). “Country versus destination image in a developing country", Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 27 (7): 748-764.
- Alvarez, M. and Asugman, G. (2009). “Issues in Formative Measurement: Response to Murphy (2009)”, Annals of Tourism Research, 36 (4): 738-742.
- Alvarez, M. and Asugman, G. (2006). “Explorers versus Planners: A Study of Turkish Tourists”, Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 33 (2): 319-338.